No soldier who took part in the two day's engagement at Shiloh ever spoiled for a fight again,” recalled one Union veteran. “We wanted a square, stand-up fight and got all we wanted of it.” Besides preserving the site of the bloody April 1862 battle in Tennessee, the park commemorates the subsequent siege, battle, and occupation of the key railroad junction at nearby Corinth, Mississippi.
Shiloh National Military Park will host several special events during 2011. Beginning in early April with our 149th "Battle Anniversary Weekend" and running through October, these park activities will offer visitors a unique look at infantry, artillery, and cavalry tactical demonstrations; and a glimpse of the military camp life shared by thousands of Civil War soldiers.
On April 9 and 10, Civil War reenactors will provide Confederate camp scenes as well as infantry, cavalry, artillery, and other demonstrations. On Memorial Day weekend, the park will honor America's deceased service men and women from the Nation's wars. Throughout the summer, visitors will also have the opportunity to observe infantry, cavalry, and artillery demonstrations. Check this website for more information as more details are finalized.
Visitors are invited to take advantage of these unique opportunities to learn more about both the soldiers and civilians of wartime Tennessee. Links below give specific dates, times, and places. For more information, call the Shiloh Battlefield Visitor Center at (731) 689-5696.
Historic Homes and Buildings
604 Waldron Street
Corinth, Mississippi 38834
The history of the store begins as the war ends. Dr. Andrew Jackson (Jack) Borroum had just been released from a northern prison camp and Mustered out of the army at Atlanta, Georgia. He had worked for both the northern armies when he was captured and for the southern armies when he was free. With no particular idea in mind except to go home, he started toward Oxford, Mississippi on horseback. On his way he stopped in Corinth, Mississippi to look around and met a Dr. Young whom he had known before. Dr. Young convinced him to stay and practice with him. That he did, opening his office almost immediately. Corinth was still under military rule at this time.
Dr. Borroum began to dispense medicines, having to make most of them and soon decided to open a drug store that was to be both wholesale and retail. As Corinth did not have one at that time. So begins the history of Borroum's Drug Store that was destined to be Mississippi's oldest in continuous operation. It was first located on #4 Front Street, now called Cruise Street and just this side of where the Corinth Water and Gas Company was originally located. Later it was moved to its present location 604 Waldron Street when the courthouse was built. The present building was built around 1843 and was originally a tannery with a livery stable next door. The walls are made of hand-made brick, which you can see when you come in the store, and are four brick thick.
From that time on it was in the center of things. In someways it was like a general store in that it carried a variety of merchandise such as perfumes, incense, drugs, herbs, tobacco, coffee, etc. as they became available. Often times as his books show, he was paid in vegetables, eggs and chickens. His records do not show an account closed except upon the death of a customer. One way or another, as he accepted any kind of payment, they are all marked paid.
Dr. Borroum also put out a paper called, naturally, “Dr. A. J. Borrum's Courier”. It was quiet interesting, giving the reader information on various remedies both new and old. It would give information on the newest medicines and the arrival of fresh herbs and new merchandise. There would be poems, short stories, anecdotes, jokes and tall tales related to the time of year it was published and, of course, it advertised Borroum's Drug Store.
Dr. Borroum continued his medical practice and the operating of the drug store for thirty-two years, his sons joining him as they finished their medical training. Upon his death, his oldest son, Dr. James Alexis Borroum (Lex), became the sole owner of the store. It continues as a wholesale - retail until the late twenties.
Dr. Lex differed from his father somewhat and had a great interest in politics. He also was a great animal lover and raised fine canaries in the back of the store building. His interest in politics made the store a great place to be on election night in Corinth. The scoreboard would be maintained on the windows until the last vote was in. The men would spin many a yarn and swap many dollars as friendly bets were won and lost. Many of Mississippi's former governors started their campaign in Corinth by always coming by and seeing how ”the feeling was” as they talked to the customers and Dr. Borroum.
Some of our fondest memories are brought back when old customers return after may years to ”just look around and reminisce”. Corinth being a border town on the Mississippi - Tennessee line made it a hub for marriages for many years (at that time it was easier to get married in Mississippi than in other nearby states). It was quite customary for the justices of the peace to use the back of the drug store to marry people after courthouse hours. Not long ago one such couple came to the store ”to just look around” and explained that they were married here fifty years ago and were just on their second honeymoon. It was probably one of the ones I stole a peak at when I was just a kid standing on the crates behond the partition, sneaking a look as the couple said ”I do”.
Many things have taken place in this old drug store. I remember one time when Ed Allen was chief of police and the department had just gotten in some tear gas guns. In his displaying of the gun it accidently went off running all of the customers and the chief out of the store for many hours. Finally, with the help of McPeters Funeral Home the fumes were dispelled, though it was many days before your eyes did not smart.
After Dr. Lex's death in 1932, Conrad, Dr. Borroum's oldest son, his wife Cristle, and his mother Willou operated the drug store. About five years later Conrad went to work for TVA and the younger son, Col. James Lannes Borroum and his wife Loretta with his mother Willou took their turn in operating the store. He continued to run the business until his death in 1975. He moderized the drug store in the late thirties, adding a new soda fountain with booths and tables and yes, even a juke box. He also put in new fixtures and later added a more modern glass front.
The store has moved with the times changing as the ”trends changed” until the arrival of the ”chain store era”. The family has decided the store should stay the same, offering the services it has for a hundred years such as charge accounts without service charges, free delivery, free gift wrapping. They also offer free blood pressure checks and senior citizens' discounts (being the first in this area to do this). Another plus is their personal shopper service to their elderly customers, those too sick to get out or those who have some other type of emergency.
The store has a museum area where some of the original cobalt blue dispensing bottles with the gold leaf labels and the medicinal names written in Latin are displayed along with pharmaceutical scales with amethiyst balances, medicines and other antique paraphernalia, including a tiny mid-wife spoon for measuring portions of medicines. It also has a large Indian artifact collection on display that was personally collected by Col. Lannes Borroum and a civil war collection that both Col. Borroum and his brother Conrad assembled. In this collection hangs the sword and scabbard and powder horn of Jessie Kilgore Borroum, Dr. Jack Borroum's brother who was killed in the Battle of Atlanta. Dr. Borroum brought it back with him when he was mustered out of the army in Atlanta.
The store today features a modern pharmacy operated by Camille Borroum Mitchell, Col. Borroum's daughter and Corinth's first woman pharmacist, a pioneer in a man's field. she has practiced pharmacy for forty-six years. The old soda fountain is still very much in the center of things and is kept in perfect operation by the ingenuity of her youngest son, Alexis (Lex). It has everything from ”real” malted milks to their famous ice cream sodas. Of course there are the cherry phosphates and ”genuine” old fashioned cokes.
It also has a very large tobacconist shop operated by Bo, Camille's oldest son and Dr. A. J. (Jack) Borroum's great, great grandson. The tobacco mixes are special blends he has made and sport such names as Bo's Trash, Borroum's Blend and Kimmons Old Fashion. Most of his merchandise is imported having, for instance, beautiful hand-carved pipes from Denmark, others are from Turkey, England and France and, of course, the corn cob pipe from the USA. Along with tobacco, he has a wide selection of imported teas and coffees. Yes, the coffee is gound to your specification.
Alexis (Lex), the youngest great, great grandson of Dr. A. J. Borroum and his wife Debbie Seago Mitchell operate the candy shop which has the largest selections in this area, selling fine chocolates from the USA and others as far away as Finland, by the piece, by the pound or specially packed boxes done ”just your way”. Then there is the salt water taffy, the gourment jelly beans, the hand made ”kickin sticks”, the ”all day” suckers and hand-dipped pretzels. They also have hot roasted nuts of all kinds, plus sesame sticks and sunflower seeds.
The original wall cases have been put in place and are being restored by Alexis (Lex) along with several of the show cases. The old prescription counter was restored by Camille and two of her helpers, Louise Justice and Mickey Crumby. The cash register that sports the year 1926 has been reconditioned by Lex also.
All of the senior family members have died. Willou, Dr. Alexis Borroum's wife lived to be 90 years old and was cashier for the soda fountain until just a few weeks before her death. Col. Borroum died in 1975. Conrad, the older son, died in1977 as did Col. Borroum's wife Loretta who was the genius with the cosmetic department and public relations. Camille, Dr. A. J. Borroum's great granddaughter, is operating the drug store with her two sons, Alexis (Lex) and Kimmons (Bo). An elder daughter, Beverly, worked with them earlier in the seventies until she decided to go to law school. Jennifer Lyn, the youngest daughter plans to feature a cosmetic speciality department.
For a little something to leave behind, Camille, who is not only a very good artist, you usually see some of her work on display at the store, is also very good with stained glass and is making stained and etched panels of the ancient apothecary symbols to display in the pharmacy. Lex is working with her in this venture.
The store has survived the time change. It is now 129 years old. There are four grandchildren, Alexis Borroum Mitchell II and Kirby Borroum Milligan, great, great, great grandsons and Leslie Anne Mitchell and Kimmons Johnson Mitchell, great, great, great granddaughters of Dr. A. J. Borroum. The drugstore is going into it's sixth generation. They hope to see the year 2000.
Borroum's Drug Store is listed in Historic Places to see in Mississippi and efforts are being made to put the pharmacy in the National Register of Historic Sites.
404 Taylor Street
Corinth, MS 38834
Registered on the National Register of Historic Places, this Mississippi Landmark was built in 1924. The elegand and elaborate interior is a sight to see. The history of the building includes Vaudeville performances and one of the first motion picture shows in the area.
Corinth Train Depot
213 Fillmore Street
Corinth, MS 38834
Site where railroads intersected, giving Corinth strategic importance during the Civil War.
Jacinto Courthouse (circa 1836)
3568 County Road 367
Corinth, MS 38382
Once Northeast Mississippi's political and cultural center, this imposing two story courthouse also once served as the populous county seat of Tishomingo County and features some of the most impressive examples of Federal Style architecture in the south. A park area, walking trails, and RV hookups are also located on the courthouse grounds.
Historic Site and Monuments
Battery Robinett (circa 1862)
102 Linden Street
Corinth, MS 38835
Built by the Federal Army following the Siege of Corinth, this historic site was the site of fierce fighting during the Battle of Corinth and is open daily from dawn to dusk.
Highway 370 • Corinth, MS 38834
Battle of Brice's Crossroads June 10, 1864, General Nathan Bedford Forrest and his Confederate Cavalry met Union troops near Baldwyn, Mississippi at Brice's Crossroads. Almost 100 years later, local citizen Claude Gentry began efforts to preserve and interpret the battlefield. In 1996, the Battlefield Commission began to expand the battlefield from the one acre Park Service site to the current 1400 acre site. Join us for a trip through time to the Civil War, where hoop skirts and harmonicas thrived and people North and South fought to preserve the past and celebrate the future. Dedication plans underway for April, 2011 Construction on the Brice's Crossroads Visitors and Interpretive Center is complete and work is underway for the interpretive exhibit and video. The 1200 sq. ft. expansion will include a gallery that will interpret both the Battles of Brice’s Crossroads and the Battle of Tupelo or Harrisburg and the second day of the battle at Old Town Creek through interactive exhibits, maps and interactives. This newly created center, to be called the Civil War Center, and trails project, is the result of Transportation Enhancement Act funding in the amount of a 1.5 million grant administered through the Mississippi Department of Transportation and the Mississippi Department of Archives and History. The Brice’s Crossroads National Battlefield Commission applied for and was granted money that will fund construction of the expansion and the design of a permanent exhibit interpreting the two last major battles in Mississippi during the summer of 1864. A work/conference room, a library, and additional storage and a new porch with picnic facilities will be included. The grant funding will also provide pull-off and interpretive signage at the 12-acre Old Town Creek site on Mt.Vernon Road in Tupelo where the second day of the Battle of Harrisburg was fought. 14,000 federal troops camped on the night of July15 and pushed the pursuing Confederate army off the adjacent ridge following a surprise attack. The Battlefield Commission and the Civil War Preservation Trust purchased the Tupelo property last year. This newly interpreted site and the exhibit will enhance the visitor’s north Mississippi civil war experience. A guided driving tour of the route between Brice’s Crossroads and Old Town Creek will be offered. A replica of the Tishomingo Creek Bridge, which was located, in June, 1864, about 50 yards north of the present bridge on Highway 370, will be included in the project. A pull off and access from the road at creek level and viewing from the existing trail on the Log Cabin knoll will provide the visitor with information about why the creek was important in the rout of the Union troops during the June 10 battle. The third interpretive site will include a pull off and interpretation at the James C. Jourdan burial site on CR 168 with construction of a trail to and visual linkage with the White House Ridge site where the last stand of the Union troops occurred during the battle on the present CR 167. The final resting place of two artillery men here will also be interpreted. These properties were purchased by the commission with the help of the Civil War Preservation Trust and the Austin, Texas Civil War Roundtable. The Brice’s Crossroads National Battlefield Commission partners with the City of Tupelo, City of Baldwyn, Lee County and the Tupelo Convention and Visitor’s Bureau to interpret the new center’s exhibit, driving, video and the new tour sites. Cook-Coggin Engineers, the project engineer, has worked with Prairie Construction to build the interpretive pull-offs and King construction constructed the addition . Michael Lapaglia, professional exhibit designer, is preparing and constructing the exhibit and the interpretation of trails along with Center Director Edwina Carpenter. The exhibit, trail, video and interpretive signs for all four sites will be complete by November and a dedication will take place in April, 2011 to begin the celebration the sesquicentennial of the Civil War in Mississippi.
Civil War Earthworks
301 Childs Street
Corinth, MS 38834
A system of fortifications built in Corinth by the Federal and Cofederate armies and recognized as National Historic Landmarks.
Corinth National Cemetery
Corinth, MS 38834
Gravesites of 1,793 known and 3,895 unknown Civil War soldiers representing 273 regiments from 15 states.
Museums and Galleries
Black History Museum
1109 Meigg Street
Corinth, MS 38834
The all volunteer Black History Museum features artifacts and memorabilia regarding the history and contributions of African Americans in Corinth.
Northeast Mississippi Museum
204 Fourth Street
Corinth, MS 38834
Exhibits Civil War artifacts, historical photographs, and 20th Century memorabilia with a genealogy research room.
Corinth-Alcorn County City Park
Corinth, MS 38834
Park includes a one-mile walking track, six tennis courts, children's playground, picnic tables and pavilion.